Sunday, December 27, 2009

Highlights and Lowlights contd.


Donna Miller

Highlight: When I started working at the Trauma Centre my goal was to enhance my counselling skills before becoming involved in community work. Since being involved in the Gugulethu project I have developed such passion for the work I do in the project.

Not only has this experience been a huge change in my career but a wonderful and great learning experience as well. The launch of the Gugulethu project was and for this year remains my best highlight.


Lowlight: During my internship here at the Trauma Centre, Mrs Heidi Wichman was my supervisor - not only did she offer me an enormous amount of guidance and support , she also kept me motivated, and encouraged me to always think ‘outside the box’. Without her, I would not be the counsellor I am today. Saying goodbye to her is my lowlight.

Gugu Shabalala
Highlight: The opening launch of the Gugulethu project - without the support of the Gugulethu Community, the launch would not have been as successful as it was. The support, involvement and interest shown by all was amazing.

Lowlight: One of the greatest things about camping with children is that you are afforded the time to connect with your inner child again (big, loud sigh); not being able to go on all the 2nd generation camps this year was definitely a lowlight for me.

Lisa Godana
Highlight: Organising and seeing through the Victim Empowerment conference which took place in Wellington. Also being appreciated by the Department of Social Development in front a massive crowd of guests, was very nice.

Lowlight: There is no lowlight to mention at the moment but I can share a valuable lesson learnt during this year and that is: never underestimate any task and always be prepared.

Carmen Low Shang
Highlight: Presenting the Trauma Centre’s work at a conference in Bulgaria: "Political Persecution in Different Contexts: What are the psychological consequences for the subject and the Next Generations?" My presentation was enjoyed by all and great interest was specifically shown towards our 2nd generation camps and the use of the outdoors/wilderness as our classroom.

Lowlight: Working with victims of the May 2008 Xenophobia, and realising that even with ongoing supportive counselling, their physical conditions and the threat to their security has not changed much, even though a year has passed since the frightening event!!! It has been difficult as a counsellor walking this journey with them!!

Melvina Carelse

Highlight: Since I am new at the Trauma Centre I don’t have any lowlights but my one highlight was being given the opportunity to go to George and do the Victim Empowerment Programme training, which I thoroughly enjoyed. There’s just so much exposure here at the Trauma Centre. I LOVE IT!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please enter your comment. It won't appear on the blog immediately because we moderate all comments.